Part of our Hull Independent Producer Initiative (HIPI), the dance exchange programme is specifically aimed at emerging dancers aged 16+, whom may be students, recent graduates or emerging practitioners living and working in Hull or East Riding. Through a series of trips and networking events, the programme seeks to:
- Grow confidence and aspirations
- Support dancers to make national connections
- Contribute to a thriving dance community in the city
- Stimulate professional practice through the sharing of skills and opportunities in the city and beyond
Our aims are to highlight to dancers living in the area what opportunities are available locally and nationwide. We also hope this inspires participants and builds a sense of aspiration to equip them with the knowledge of what can be achieved in our own city through building creative networks and working collectively.
Throughout the programme, running Oct – Dec 2019, participants will visit three cities across the North of England on a series of structured trips where they will learn about companies and venues, meet professionals and local dancers in the region, take part in talks / workshops and see performances or rehearsals. In addition, there will be a Hull-based Dance Sector Gathering which will include discussions and networking opportunities with the above professionals, plus others from key institutions locally and across the UK.
- Deadline for applications – Sunday 29 September, midnight
- Successful participants contacted – w/c Monday 1 October
- Trip to Leeds, Friday 25 Oct, all day*
- Trip to York – Friday 15 Nov, half day*
- Trip to Newcastle – Saturday 30 Nov, all day*
- Dance Sector Gathering in Hull – Friday 6 Dec, time TBC
*Please note: We encourage applicants to ensure they can attend every event ahead of submitting interest. If this is not possible, applicants MUST be able to attend the Dance Sector Gathering and at least one trip.
How to apply
We are looking for written expressions of interest from students through the below form by no later than Sunday 29 September 2019. Applicants must fit within the following criteria:
- Based in Hull or East Riding
- Age 16+ (any participant aged below 18 must be accompanied by a representative from your dance school/organisation or a guardian)
- Interested in pursuing a career in dance
- Enthusiastic and reliable
There are no restrictions on type or genre of dance. We will consider applications from students or recent graduates, but also encourage those with no formal dance training or education to apply. We encourage applications from under-represented groups, such as disabled or BAME dancers.
Please ensure you read the description, criteria and timeline before applying. Successful applicants will be notified week commencing Monday 1 October 2019.
HIPI is an Absolutely Cultured project, funded by Arts Council England, Hull City Council Arts Development and Back To Ours, with support from Hull Truck Theatre.